#1 Sparks

Sparks

Atlantis Author

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts
  • Interests:Cocoa, Obj-C, iPhone, horses, writing

Posted 21 July 2006 - 02:45 PM

Two simple global events, and a single userconf variable, will enable a very convenient autologging feature.

Event 1:
Conditions:
  • World was just Connected
  • Variable 'userconf.autolog' is 'yes'
Actions:
  • Open logfile: ~/Documents/Logs/%{world.game}/%{world.character}/%{datetime.year}-%{datetime.month}/%{datetime.date}.txt
Event 2:
Conditions:
  • World was just Disconnected
  • Variable 'userconf.autolog' is 'yes'
Actions:
  • Close all logfiles
Then just add an 'autolog' variable -- set to 'yes' -- to any world/character you want automatically logged. Logfiles will automatically be created in a conveniently sorted path, such as ~/Documents/Logs/OGR/Sparks/2006-07/2006-07-21.txt, and if you log in more than once a day, it will simply append to the previous log. Obviously you can change how the path is set up to log in a different location, but I quite like this method.

(That said, HTML logfiles will not append, but will create new ones, if you are using HTML instead of text for logging.)
Rachel "Sparks" Blackman
Riverdark Studios

#2 Illys

Illys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 04:11 AM

I seem to have an issue getting this to work - I have both events set on my global events, just as you describe, and then the user variable set on the worlds I want logged, but still no log files. Any suggestions?

I've tried adding the userconf.autolog variable to the global vsariables as well, but still no suffess.. :/

#3 Sparks

Sparks

Atlantis Author

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 08:58 AM

Are the events checked as 'enabled'?

The reason I don't enable them right when you add them in the events panel is that it would be sort of annoying to have a half-written event fire while you were putting it in. smile.gif
Rachel "Sparks" Blackman
Riverdark Studios

#4 Illys

Illys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 04:37 PM

QUOTE (Sparks @ Jul 30 2006, 06:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are the events checked as 'enabled'?

The reason I don't enable them right when you add them in the events panel is that it would be sort of annoying to have a half-written event fire while you were putting it in. smile.gif

Yes, I have both checked and the userconf.autolog variable is set in all world..
*Miew..* unsure.gif

#5 Sparks

Sparks

Atlantis Author

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 05:00 PM

I'm at a loss. :/ I'd have to see what your events say directly to see what might be wrong.
Rachel "Sparks" Blackman
Riverdark Studios

#6 Illys

Illys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 05:10 PM

Gladly!

Window1: image
Window2: Image
Window3: Image

*cough* These are only screenshots for the autolog-start event, but it's where I'm having the issue, so..

#7 Sparks

Sparks

Atlantis Author

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 05:28 PM

Ah! Okay, that makes more sense.

When you add the userconf variable, just make it 'autolog' -- any variable set in that tab is available as 'userconf.<variable>' Sorry, I guess the userconf tab text isn't phrased as clearly as possible. smile.gif
Rachel "Sparks" Blackman
Riverdark Studios

#8 Illys

Illys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE (Sparks @ Jul 31 2006, 03:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah! Okay, that makes more sense.

When you add the userconf variable, just make it 'autolog' -- any variable set in that tab is available as 'userconf.<variable>' Sorry, I guess the userconf tab text isn't phrased as clearly as possible. smile.gif

Ahh.. Okay! Yes, autologs being created now. Yay!
Hmm.. I guess new text is appended when the log is closed?

O___o; Just disconnected one of the worlds, but only the text created at the beginning of the log was saved.

//// Logfile for Muckmoo
//// Logging spawn: Illys
//// Started at 2006-07-31 02:50:33 +0200

//// Closed at 2006-07-31 03:24:52 +0200

... dear me..

#9 Sparks

Sparks

Atlantis Author

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 06:15 PM

Yes, if the log already exists, it appends. smile.gif
Rachel "Sparks" Blackman
Riverdark Studios

#10 Illys

Illys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 10:26 AM

laugh.gif Atlantis! wub.gif

You got the keypad bindings working! *hugsqueezes Sparks!* tongue.gif

I still have a problem with autolog though, if you can please help me to bughunt further.. *sniffle*

I have autologging set up and working to create log files.

Log will have header info, etc from the Atlantis program, but then the actual text from the session does not get written into the log! ... Also the footer (atlantis makes a header, so I assume there'd be a footer) never shows up.

EDIT :: When I log in a new world/character spawn, a window opens on the side with my character name as the spawn window name, and then the %%Logging... line appears inside that window.
That is to say, while the world window with all the text from the mush is in 'illys@muckname', the logging-status message comes in the spawn-window 'illys' - where only the %%Logging status-message appears, and none of the output from the muck.

Le EDIT #2 ::

Ahh.. 'Log for spawn 'Illys'' was checked. fix-ed. :9
9o9 *mew* .. Any idea why this is happening?

#11 Sparks

Sparks

Atlantis Author

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:32 AM

QUOTE (Illys @ Aug 7 2006, 10:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
9o9 *mew* .. Any idea why this is happening?

I'm not really following the explanation clearly, I admit. Is it possible that you've got your logging options weird somehow? I've just checked, and I see my logging is working fine...

Can you log manually and have it work? (I.e., is something wrong with logging in general, or just your autolog?) Can you log in other formats besides 'Formatted Text' (i.e., does HTML or plaintext work, have you somehow made the options on Formatted Text odd), etc.?
Rachel "Sparks" Blackman
Riverdark Studios

#12 Illys

Illys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 12:18 PM

Basically what happened was I had

Set - and that created a new spawn every time I connected to a world. An empty spawn, and it would log that spawn.

Removing the name in the 'Log Spawn' textfield and unchecking the box removed that odd behavior.

#13 Sparks

Sparks

Atlantis Author

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 12:32 PM

QUOTE (Illys @ Aug 7 2006, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Basically what happened was I had

Set - and that created a new spawn every time I connected to a world. An empty spawn, and it would log that spawn.

Removing the name in the 'Log Spawn' textfield and unchecking the box removed that odd behavior.

Oh! Drat. Yes. If you want it to log only the main spawn of a world, leave that field blank but check it. If you make it 'log a spawn' that doesn't yet exist, the 'Logging' notice will appear on that spawn and make it exist. And yes, if you refer to a spawn not in the spawns list, Atlantis will create it with 'default' settings. Sorry, I guess that wasn't clear. smile.gif
Rachel "Sparks" Blackman
Riverdark Studios

#14 Illys

Illys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE (Sparks @ Aug 7 2006, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh! Drat. Yes. If you want it to log only the main spawn of a world, leave that field blank but check it. If you make it 'log a spawn' that doesn't yet exist, the 'Logging' notice will appear on that spawn and make it exist. And yes, if you refer to a spawn not in the spawns list, Atlantis will create it with 'default' settings. Sorry, I guess that wasn't clear. smile.gif

There are plenty of powerful things that can be put into a program that are very good but not clear. The difference between a programmer and a user I think are noticing those differences. wink.gif

#15 Sparks

Sparks

Atlantis Author

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 01:17 PM

This is why I need to get documentation in place! Some of it is very intuitive, and the reaction is 'Oh, duh! I should've guessed' and some of it is... er, it just kind of ended up that way because the pre-beta team was used to my way of doing things, and so I didn't realize it was unclear. smile.gif
Rachel "Sparks" Blackman
Riverdark Studios

#16 Abulia

Abulia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 09:23 AM

I can't get this to work. I *think* I've followed all the steps and logically it looks like it works, but there's no logging. Actually, the client won't finish connecting.

I'll hang at "%%Connected."

Turn off the logging events and everything works back to normal. sad.gif

#17 Sparks

Sparks

Atlantis Author

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 03:28 PM

Can you provide more info on how you set up the events?
Rachel "Sparks" Blackman
Riverdark Studios

#18 Abulia

Abulia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 04:27 PM

Exactly as Illys has in his screenshots, save with the corrections for the autolog variable.

Just to check, the two events should be global world defaults and the variables defined at the character level, correct?

It looks like everything is setup fine. My path for the log is:
~/Documents/Logs/%{world.game}/%{world.character}/%{datetime.year}-%{datetime.month}/%{datetime.date}.txt

blink.gif

#19 Sparks

Sparks

Atlantis Author

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:26 PM

Hrm. What's the logfile type set to? In a pinch, alternatively, you can send me the 'globals.awd' file from ~/Library/Application Support/Atlantis, and that will let me examine your global events directly (and even debug if needed). smile.gif
Rachel "Sparks" Blackman
Riverdark Studios

#20 Abulia

Abulia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:05 AM

QUOTE (Sparks @ Oct 18 2006, 12:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hrm. What's the logfile type set to? In a pinch, alternatively, you can send me the 'globals.awd' file from ~/Library/Application Support/Atlantis, and that will let me examine your global events directly (and even debug if needed). smile.gif

Plain Text (Formatted)

I can generate a log manually just fine, so not sure what the issue is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users